Gym Etiquette For Dummies
When you go to the gym for the first time, there is little worse than wondering if you’re doing the proper thing while attempting to get a good workout. Here are a few tips from someone who has been going to gyms for over 40 years. Also, if you know someone who doesn't do these things, link them this article and save yourself some time. Onto the list...
- Never pick up dumbbells and do your exercise (curls, shrugs, bent over rows) right in front of the dumbbell rack. You wind up blocking a number of dumbbells that others may need access to...step back a few steps.
- Always unload plates from machines and put them on the correct pegs for their weight.
- Monopolizing a machine…..this one is a bit tricky. If you’re trying to get three sets in on a machine and the gym is big and has multiple machines, I have no problem with using it exclusively until you’re done. If the gym is small and you see someone hovering, introduce yourself and ask if they would like to work in. Make a friend and look like the good guy (person).
- Always bring a towel. Nobody wants to use sweaty equipment.
- NEVER spit in the water fountain.
- When attempting to use a piece of equipment and there are other people nearby, always ask, “Are you training here”?
- NEVER DROP WEIGHTS…..If you can’t put them down, don’t pick them up!
- Always wipe down cardio equipment after you use it.
- When using a cable machine, always remove handles after use.
Thank you for reading!
At Bandit Fitness, this kind of stuff is our jam. If you've got any more questions about, well, really anything fitness, we're always here to talk. If you're not familiar with us, read more about us here, and when you're ready, click the button below to drop by!